- 8 Chicken Thighs, skinned, de-boned and pounded flatFlour seasoned with salt, pepper and dried herbs – Wondra works best.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 oz chopped mushrooms1 finely diced onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 cup marsala wine
- 1-2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Dredge the chicken in the flour.
- Pour olive oil in 12” skillet and add whole garlic cloves and chicken, then turn on medium heat (trust me)
- Brown chicken on both sides and set aside.
- Stir about two tablespoons of the dredging flour into the olive oil to create a loose paste (roux).
- Add mushrooms and onion and stir until cooked through.
- Add marsala and scrape and fond off pan.
- Crush up those garlic cloves.
- Add chicken and enough stock to half cover the other ingredients.
- Continue cooking until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through, adding more stock or flour to get the desired gravy consistency.
- After turning off heat, stir in a few tablespoons of butter to enrich the sauce.
Frugal Factor: 2lbs chicken at $1.89/lbs, $3.78. Mushrooms, $2, onion, garlic, wine, stock, oil, butter: $1.50 (est.). I made four servings, so that’s $1.82/serving not counting the sides, which would probably add $0.75/serving, for a total of $2.47/serving.